Valentines Day – Love Is In The Air!
Valentines Day is also known as Saint Valentines Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine. It is celebrated annually on February 14th. Originally it was celebrated as a Christian feast day to pay tribute to two Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine. The first Feast of Saint Valentines goes all the way back to AD 496. Pope Gelasius then proclaimed it Saint Valentines Day to commemorate Saint Valentine of Rome who was executed on that day in AD 269. It is told that Saint Valentine wrote a farewell letter to the jailer’s daughter before his execution and signed it “Your Valentine”. The rest of course is history!
Valentines Day Traditions
Originally the day was celebrated with hand made note cards expressing your feelings to the one that you truly loved. Then came the tradition of cards and flowers and it now has evolved into much more extravagant gifts. For most of us cards and flowers will be sufficient, maybe throw in a nice box of chocolates. Others however have just taken another holiday and ran with it! Lavishing gifts upon their loves of jewelry, trips and cars! Does the bigger the gift mean you love them more? I think not.
Symbols associated with Valentines Day
Hearts of course are one of the most popular symbol associated with St. Valentines Day. They denote true, deep feelings of love.
Cupid of course is not to be scoffed at! This naked little cherub with wings has his roots in Greek mythology. Eros was the Greek god of love. Readied with little golden love arrows to penetrate the heart and initiate feelings of love.
In the 1800’s friends and lovers began exchanging hand written notes on St. Valentines Day. By the 1900’s with the improvement of printing technology, Valentines Day cards were produced. Today the Valentine Day card business is flourishing!
What Are You Doing For Your Valentine?
While Valentines Day is not a public holiday, many have taken it as a day to celebrate their love in a big way. Dinner reservations, couple’s spa days and romantic getaways are all popular things to plan for. Keep in mind however, that this is a day to express your love. That really shouldn’t cost you a lot of money, if any at all! Sometimes the simplest things can mean the most.
Why not try a few less costly alternatives:
- Prepare a breakfast in bed.
- Plan a picnic in the park.
- Make a handmade Valentine card!
- Tape some hearts on the bathroom mirror so its the first thing that your loved one sees when they get up! Write your expressions of love on them.
- Draw some kissing lips on the bathroom mirror using a red lipstick.
- Make a heart shaped cake or just make a regular shaped cake and decorate it with cinnamon hearts.
- Plan a romantic candlelit dinner at home.
- Decorate a room with cardstock hearts. On each heart write something that you love about your special someone.
- Write your special words of love on some red heart shaped cardstock. Tape them to your sleeve!
There is no need to buy your love, just show it!
No matter what you decide to do, the most important thing that you can do is to say “I Love You”. This involves no cost at all and it will probably mean the most!! You don’t even have to wait until Valentines Day to say it!
Keep your love fresh and strong with demonstrations of your love all through the year. True love doesn’t need a day nor a time. It’s eternal. It doesn’t need a gift to flourish. It grows in your heart and it continues to get bigger and better as time goes by. Keep it well fed with those three important words and soon it will feel as if it is going to burst.
That’s love! Nothing fancy! Nothing expensive!
Keep your romance alive all through the year.
- Make time for one another.
- Listen to the other person.
- Show compassion and understanding.
- Never judge!
- Always be supportive.
- Have a date night often!
- Go for long walks.
- Turn the lights off. Light some candles!
- Just talk!
- Sit on the beach.
- A box of chocolates never hurt anyone either! Any day. Any time!
“Being deeply loved by someone
gives you strength,
While loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
- Zombies -What You Really Need To Know !
- Valentines Day – Love Is In The Air!
- New Year, New You, New Hope
- Camping Vancouver Island
- Get Motivated – Get Energized!