Hosting a Baby Shower – Food
Baby showers are mainly an afternoon or early evening event. The food served should be simple finger foods, not hot dishes. They should be easy and simple and can be prepared ahead of time, so its just a matter of unwrapping and setting out.
Ask friends or family for help with the appies. They could bring pickles, sliced cheese, crackers, etc.
The food should be bite sized finger food and easy to eat.
A charcuterie board is a very popular trend for any occassion. A large platter or board filled with sliced cheeses, cold cuts, fruit, veggies, pickle, olives, crackers, bread sticks, dips and jams.
They are fun and simple to make. The possibilities are endless.
Make them eye catching by careful placement of different foods. Perhaps some orange cheeses in the center of a circles of bright red strawberries and green grapes. Be imaginative and creative
Make these as plain or fancy as like. Fancy food picks or skewers can be used in pickles and fruits.
- Pickles – all kinds. If serving dill pickles it may be more appealing to slice them or halve them for bite size pieces
- Cheese – There are countless different cheeses. Cut in small even sized, pieces.
- Sandwiches – You can make traditional sandwiches sliced into quarters or you can really get creative. Ribbon sandwiches and rolled sandwiches are always a hit and looks like you have knocked yourself out. They are a little more work but worth the effort.
- Sandwich fillings – Make a variety. Devilled egg, ham, chicken, tuna, salmon, cheese, turkey, cold cuts.
- Wraps – wraps make a nice showing instead of bread. Fill with whatever you choose, chill and slice
- Crackers – have at least a couple different varieties.
- Fruit – strawberries, grapes, cantaloupe wedges, watermelon wedges, orange slices, Avoid fruits that will discolor such as apple slices and bananas
- Vegetables – carrot sticks, celery sticks, cauliflower florets, cucumber slices. radishes
- Sweets – cookies, chocolates, mints, tarts, bite sized baked goods
Non alcoholic beverages are generally served at showers.
- Sparkling water
- Fruit juices
- Punch bowl
- Iced Tea
Serve your food buffet style. Prep your table with a cute or colorful cloth. Gender specific if you know the gender.
Napkins, paper or china plates and cups or glasses for beverages
Have your food at one end and plates and cutlery at the other end, so everyone can get their plates and dig in.
This event can be as plain or fancy as you make it. Be creative!